Tuesday, January 10, 2006

< .
View My Stats

Connections

There are many connections in life. Right now, as I write this I am connected to a machine that keeps me alive. It's not what I wanted but, it's now one of my life's connections be getting this experience three times a week now. Each one will last from 2 to 4 hours depending on fluid and toxin levels. It could be worse I could be dead but, Im still hanging on by a thread.

On this type of dialysis you're severely limited on your fluid intake; only 48oz each day less if possible. That's 6 eight oz glasses of water or beverage. You have to count the ice too. Oatmeal or grits - you have to count the water used to prepare them. A bowl of soup too extreme; jello got to count it too. I don't how well I'm going to handle this

Im soo tired I just want to sleep and wake up and all of this been a bad dream.

We have family connections too. Mine are gold. My Dad gave me a kidney about 16 years ago - it lasted for more than 15 years. That I was told was the average life of a transplanted kidney from that time. The drugs used have improved greatly. The major anti-rejection drug I used was actually toxic to the kidneys. Others cause skin cancer and a whole host of other problems.

My Dad never had a second thought about donating. I really didn't want him to but his steadfastness kept me from ever having to be on dialysis. We don't always see eye to eye on things but to me he is a much bigger hero than any sports star or rock muscian could ever be.

My Mom always there for me too. She does things to help keep my spirits up. She comes to cook for me when I need it. They are a team. This year they will have been married for 50 years.

One of my uncles has offered one of his kidneys if they'll work but, it's an offer I can not accept. He has his own health issues and his wife has cancer too.

My other Aunts and Uncles are vrey supportive too. They send cards and get well wishes all the time.
You've already read about my iife Sue. She is superwoman with all the things she handles - demanding job, me, the house and more. She has saved my life on more than one occasion too.
Enough good cannot be said about her.

I'm about finished here so my friends will have to wait until later.

1 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think courage is something that can't be defined; it has to be experienced. Your courage is evident, and your strength to go on is maintained by yours and those close to you. I pray that you will get a donor and have the transplant that will allow you to regain the mobility to photograph for those you love and for those of us who love your work.

I'm praying for you and waiting for more photos.

Jim
jpankey@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home