Sunday, January 29, 2006

< .
View My Stats

Welcome to the Machine, My Friend

The Machine


The Center

It's one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs but, not something I wanted to be connected to. This machine helps to keep me alive until I can get a transplant so it is now a part of my life for the foreseeable future.

I go to the local dialysis center three times a week for treatment - Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Each treatment lasts between 3 to 4 hours depending on how much fluid and toxins have built up in my body.

When you first get there you are weighed. This is compared to your weight after you finished the last treatment. From this they can determine a baseline time for your next treatment. They also do blood test to determine the effectiveness of the dialysis treatments.

While you are connected to the machine your blood pressure, tempersture and other componets of your blood are closely monitored. While you're connected you can nap, read or watch TV via a small set and headphones supplied by the center.

Near the end of your treatment they clean your connection site and finally take a final weight to be used for your next visit. The whole process isn't all that bad just not how I really wanted to spend my Saturday afternoon.

black jack
blackjack strategy

2 Comments:

At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark.

I'm new to blogs. How do I correspond with you or send you encouragement through your blog, without it going public?

Anyway, I wanted to ask what the doctors are waiting for. Why can't they do the kidney transplant a.s.a.p? Surely there must be enough healthy donors amongs that huge American population?

Why did your kidneys fail in the first place? (Or maybe it's none of my business, in which case, I apologize for being so inquisitive/interested)

I'd really love to talk to you - to give you encouragement and support. I might send you my phone number through www.fotothing.com.

Think positive! That's one of the most important things. You mustn't get depressed and allow your spirit to weaken.

When you're in hospital and you can't do anything but think, let your mind travel to all the beautiful places, remember the loving people and pets, and fantasize about good things only.

See yourself in the future exactly like you'd like to be, healthy and strong with a new kidney, productive, living exactly where you dream of living and being surrounded by love.

Light and love (platonic) from me.

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark !

it's me, kris from fotothing :)
i have a friend which has the same illness but he had a transplant few years back .things will work out , don't worry BE HAPPY! okay !

"see" ya around :))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home