Saturday, September 23, 2006

< .
View My Stats

#19

"I managed to save all of them. Nobody thought that what I shot would be of any importance. It if isn't digital, or have a two foot lens nobody takes it seriously. You know I had the lens pointed to the reenactment not the parking lot. That reenactment was about half a mile from the parking lot.

And Bergheimer, I know about velocity and what wounds look like. I can tell the difference between a black powder wound and a high velocity wound from a modern weapon. Trust me we have both kinds of murders in Atlanta."

Berg didn't much care for her constant butchering of his name, but at the moment she had the wheels. He could probably disable her and steal the car, but that didn't seem necessary at that moment. Besides she was the one person who could prove he had nothing to do with the hit on Peter. It was in his best interest to stay close and protect her. She was also likely to have assets he could use.

"Bergerstien, I left my wagon back there in the exhibit area. I will have to go back for it or they will come looking for me. So do I need to stash you somewhere first, or will they not be all that interested."

"Oh they'll be interested okay," Berg replied.

"Then choose a place you want to spend a couple of hours. After I get the wagon we can go find a lab and a high resolution scanner for these negatives."

"Okay drop me at a coffee shop at one of these exits. I can have lunch while you load the wagon."

"Damn, you gonna' calmly eat lunch while they are looking all over for you, and I am working my butt off loading my stuff."

"That's pretty much the plan yeah."

"In that case, I'm going to find a place with a truck park. At least then, I'll be able to get the trailer in and out without too large a hassle."

The restaurant turned out to be a Shoney's. It had the required double length pull through parking spaces in a separate parking lot across the street. Sarah Lee dropped Berg in front of the building, then drove away.

As he watched her go Berg thought that she drove like a cop. Always either on the gas or the brakes. Ready to accelerate or to stop dead on a spit second's notice. He didn't like that style of driving, but he understood it. Convoy drivers did pretty much the same thing. Go like hell when you go, and stop at very short distances.

Berg had finished his lunch well before Sarah Lee made it back. He was sitting on one of the benches in the grass area beside the truck park when she pulled in. The very old land cruiser was hard to miss. Evidently she saw him as well, since she didn't park. Instead she pulled up several yards away and waited.

Berg looked around carefully before he moved to the twenty year old, beat up suv. He opened the door that complained with a groan. "Why the hell don't you oil those hinges," he asked.

"I usually sleep in a tent beside this thing. I'm a light sleeper," it was all she needed to say. For someone half asleep it would be a better alarm than a car horn. The bad guy would most likely still be trying to get the door open when he suddenly grew a 10mm Glock out of his ear. At least that's how he would have done it.

The Lab turned out to be in her dad's home. She had called ahead on her cell phone so he was waiting.

"And what the devil have you gotten yourself into now?" He asked as she moved to hug him. He talked to her and hugged her, but he never took his eyes off Berg.

"One of the park people got shot at the reenactment. I need to get a couple of drum scans of my negatives."

"You know where the lab is and how it works. By the way you going to introduce me to your friend."

"It's better you not know daddy," Sarah Lee said with finality in her voice. "We were never here, right?"

"Are you kidding, since when would a kid visit her father on anything like a regular basis?"

"I know, I know but I've been busy."

"Yeah, I can see that." He did smile when he said it.

"It isn't what you think or what you wish even."

"Speaking of not what I wish, the faggot and the dyke are looking for you."

"Daddy, I have asked you a dozen times to not call them that. Beside to be technically correct, she is a faghag." Sarah lee walked toward the small building in the rear of the house. She carried what appeared to be a small cloth cooler in her left hand. Sarah Lee seldom carried things in her right hand.

Bergstrom followed her into the building. The small unlocked building was cut up into four tiny rooms. One of the rooms was a small darkroom complete with a working sink with one of those in line water heaters. State of the art Berg guessed, as he looked about. Sarah left the bag there then showed him the other three rooms. The other small room held a mounting press and tiny frame shop. The frames were made up already. They resided in cubbyholes on the wall. There must have been a couple of thousand dollars worth. On closer examination they all showed signs of having been used.

Sarah Lee noticed his attention to the frames. "Saturday morning yard sales," she replied. Bergstrom nodded.

The last two doors were deceptive. One went into a very tiny room with a drum enlarger and a small table with computer on top. The other door led to a small but complete portrait studio. Not large enough to do anything larger they head and shoulders, or maybe waist to head things.

After the tour Sarah began to develop the film she had shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home