Wednesday, June 20, 2007

< .
View My Stats

The Clock Strikes Midnightand Death is Cheated Again

The morning started the same as it has for the past year or so. It's 5:30 and Sue is up and in the shower getting ready for another commute into work. I'm awake and getting ready for another day at the dialysis clinic. I test my blood sugar and find a little high at 203 so I take 3 units of novolog insulin. I've done the same thing many times before in the 36 years of having diabetes.

This morning something was not the same, what we're still not sure. I felt like my blood pressure might be low. Sue helped me check it and it was normal but I still had an uneasy, light-headed feeling. That's the last thing I remember before "my dream"

I thought I was dreaming and it wasn't a pleasant one. I said Oh Damn, I'm in the hospital again! It was the sounds and smells that flooded my head. I could feel people lifting my arms and yelling my name. I couldn't move, open my eyes or speak no matter how hard I tried.

The sounds were those of Sue and the first responder firemen that arrived a minute before the paramedics. For some reason my blood sugar had dropped to 20 in a little over 15 minutes and I had gone from having seizures to slipping into a coma-like state.

I remember my tongue and lips feeling thick and heavy. It was the " instant glucose" the firemen had put in my mouth and all over my lips. It's a jelly-like substance used to combat low blood sugar in a unconscious person. It wasn't having much of an effect in this case. When the EMT's arrived they started an IV and started giving me D-50 (intravenous glucose). I felt myself put into a wheelchair and moved to the door. I still couldn't move, speak or open my eyes at this time. I felt myself being loaded into the ambulance and starting the ride to the hospital.

While on the way to the hospital I began to come to. I could open my eyes only to have them slam shut again. As the minutes passed I was able to hold them open longer and speak a little. I was now fully aware of what had happened and what was going on around me.

Over the next few hours in the hospital my blood sugar would continue to drop and I would get more D-50. This went on for what seemed like forever. Finally my sugar stabilized and I was released to go to dialysis.

Since then all I've wanted to do is sleep. I've been exhausted from the seizures and lack of eating anything for a day and a half. Lunch today was my first real meal but I still feel tired and weak.

Of course Sue was with me throughout all this. The EMT's said her calling so quickly had saved my life. She had to go to MN today for work and my parents are here until she gets back on Friday. I miss her so much. She has to leave again on Monday for the entire week she'll be in Belgium and return on Saturday. After that she's taking a week off to be with me and we'll be together.

Thanks for reading -Mark
Photo - An Old Homestead ( and how I feel)


At 12:08 AM, Blogger Pat said...

Ohhhh, Mark!

I'm so sorry you've been through this once again. What a great photo of the old house but you're going to rise up and have straight walls once again my dear, dear friend.

I've been busy with a couple of sick friends and being away up north last week too so I'm way behind again.

I'm so happy that Sue was there with you.



My PAD and
Guelph Daily Photo

At 5:21 AM, Blogger Natalya said...

Dear Mark,

So sorry to read this but glad that Sue was so quick in getting you the help you needed.

The picture is lovely and I agree with Pat 100%, I am thinking and praying for you {{{HUGS}}} xx

At 3:30 AM, Blogger Ggraph said...

Dear Pat and Natalya,
Thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts We really used them up this time.

I feel as if I've lost most of the ground I had been gaining so, I'm starting again. It just is taking a little longer for me to snap back to the same level I was at.
Pat, so sorry to hear of your sick friends. Hope they're on the mend and I pray for them too.

Natalya, as always, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

You both have been a great comfort to both of us. It's so great to know you're not alone and others are adding to your prayers.
Always thankful -Mark & Sue

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Mark, I'm so happy that I told Natalya about your blog as I know she can be a great encouragement to you.

Please know that we're here for you.

I'm continuing to pray daily.


Pat xxxx

At 12:47 PM, Blogger Gudl said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers, too.

At 7:48 PM, Anonymous charlie said...

Hang in there son we need you in our lives

At 2:10 PM, Blogger talj said...

Thinking of you Mark and keeping you in my prayers {{HUGS}} to you and Sue xx

At 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Nice stuff you got, very fabulous pics.
Well, I do have also in my sleeves, if you have time don't forget to visit

Many thanks

At 8:17 PM, Anonymous WA Car said...

very nice blog.............


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home