Tuesday, April 03, 2007

< .
View My Stats

The Night That Wouldn't End.


I had quite a night last night or should I say nightmare. This was the second night I've suffered several unexplained extreme episodes of low blood sugar. I took my normal amount of insulin and ate a regular meal and tested my blood before going to bed. I left it slightly high (168) after thr previous nights attack. This didn't seem to make any difference though. I went to bed early because I was tired from dialysis and the blood sugar incidents from the night before.

The first wave was around 11:30. I woke up hot and sweating - I knew what was happening and checked my blood sugar: it was 63. I drank a non diet drink - a sunkist orange - they have twice the amount of sugar as a Coke and no phosphorus (kidney diet requirement). I also downed 6 or 7 sugar cubes and a ate a cup of cereal for a lasting effect.My blood sugar was now 183 so I should have been safe until morning.

It was 2:30 when it hit again. This time worse than before, my sugar was 52 and I was very hot and my t-shirt was soaked. I was having trouble concentrating. Sue had to help me. I had yet another drink (which isn't good because of the fluid restrictions - dialysis remember) more sugar cubes, so not to drink so much and some cookies.

This happened over the weekend also, so much so I took no insulin on Sunday at all. These incidents will lead to comma and even death if not treated promptly. So for me it's become a choice of fluid overload (not good) or comma/death (worse yet).

These episodes always leave you feeling tired and totally wiped out and they're very stressful on your entire body.

The only thing we can figure out that might be causing this condition is a new med I was put on to help balance the thyroid and aid in the intake of vitamin D. It's the only thing that has changed and the onset occurred with the beginning of this medication.

I have a call in to the doctor about this and hopefully will get the answer soon.

Thanks for reading,


At 6:13 AM, Blogger talj said...

Hi Mark, sorry to read of your bad nights. I really hope that your call to the doctor gets things sorted out for you and you sleep better tonight.


At 8:48 AM, Blogger wendela said...

Let us know what the doctor said. Sure does seem medication related. Hope things have gone better since you last wrote.

At 8:50 PM, Blogger Pat said...

So sorry about your trials, Mark. That's so scary.

Thinking of you both.


At 7:43 AM, Blogger mysteryscribe said...

Hang in there kid.... We are all pulling for you...

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Gudl said...

I hope things are going better by now.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home