Wednesday, March 08, 2006

< .
View My Stats

Lawyers in America - What's Happened?

Bare Tree Alone

Are we as Americans to quick to point fingers and place blame? How did we get to this point? Historically we were not always this way. What changed?

Let me relate a story to you about a German friend of ours. Mike was visiting on business here in the U.S. when the cab he was riding in was involved in an accident. It was his cabbie's fault and Mike was slightly injured. He was cut and bleeding but, his first thoughts were not who do I blame and who can I sue. He was only interested in getting his medical bill taken care of and his clothes cleaned. If this had been many Americans their first thought would have been to call a lawyer to see what kind of settlement they could get.

I blame this attitude squarely on the shoulders of the American trial lawyer. Since the ban on TV advertising for lawyers was lifted we are bombarded daily with ads telling us how easy it is to sue someone. How "lawyerX" can get you hundreds of thousands of dollars for your pain and suffering (whether you actually suffer does not matter) he can get you money - bottom line.

We sue because eating french fries made us fat and no one told us it would do that. We sue because we spill coffee on ourselves and get a burn and no one told us hot coffee will burn you if you pour it on yourself. Give me a brake! What ever happened to common sense or self responsibility. Someone else must be to blame for my problems because the lawyers tell me so.

unfortunately I see no end to this trend anytime soon. Many Americans have grown up in this environment and know no other way. It's a get rich quick without having to work mentality that is being breed now.
This has caused insurance and medical rates to skyrocket and our government seems impediment to make any real changes to curb this trend. This is how I see it. If you feel differently, tell me in a comment. If you agree, then tell me that too.

2 Comments:

At 5:47 AM, Blogger Kris said...

if you are complaining , imagine my surprise when i first saw the scenario you describe on some of the American tv series..my first reaction was "wow! Americans really fully exercise their human rights :))"

..it's just so sad when it's done for quick money.. have these black sheeps no conscience

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Dante said...

wow, i didn't know that you have that kind of thing there in the US. we don't have that here in the Philippines.

it's just very disturbing that it has cme t a point where lawyers, professionals who are supposed to champion justice and the Law, are selling "justice" to make money. they are debasing what is otherwise a very noble profession.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home