This is just an update on the tests that I had last week. Week before last I had a stress, this last Tues I had an echo cardiogram. The technician informed me that she did not see any changes from the one done last year and my stress test showed no blockages so everything looked good - they would probably be seeing me again in 6 months. I was so happy about this that I called Sue when I got home and gave her the good news. We felt we had dodged a problem for once since everything seemed okay.
Thursday, this week was the first day this week I was not scheduled for dialysis or a Dr's visit - my first free day in probably a month. So while working on my computer that morning, about 11:00 am I had a phone call from my cardiologist office. They called to tell me they had the results from my stress test - I told them I already had the results and that everything looked good...the lady on the phone informed me, however, that there was a significant change in the stress test and the Dr. wanted to talk to me about it....She said that although it was short notice, the Dr. had an opening at 12:15 and if I could make it, he would like to see me as soon as possible (this doesn't sound good).
I go to see the Dr. The Dr and one of his assistants come in - it is unusual for 2 people to come in. He breaks the news to me that my ejection rate - the amount of blood pumped from my heart as the heart beats has fallen to a new lower level of only 28%. He tells me this has put me into a category of people that should have internal defibrillators installed. He explains that this is a device that will shock the heart should it stop suddenly or should it go into arrhythmia. He went on to tell me that statistically, w/o intervention, the 2 year survival rate would be only 50% - 5 yr survival rate around 20%. This was quite a difference from a couple days ago when I thought everything was okay. Now I'm faced w/ a decision - do I have this device installed which might prolong my life should this sudden death syndrome occur or do I not install the device and let nature take it's course?
Installing the device will not make me feel any better now nor keep me from feeling sick to my stomach several times a week as I do now or cure my eye problems or restore my balance. The only thing it could do, might be extend my life if I had a problem so I would continue to suffer w/ these other problems. So is it worth installing to continue this kind of a life?
I have not yet decided. I need to ask a few more questions. But, to me letting the natural course of events take place may be a better option. It seems that my heart is growing weaker but this device won't help that. Sue and I both have a lot to think about and I'll guess I'll make a decision this week. Sue said she will support whatever decision I make.
On other notes, I am going to take a space at the antique market this weekend to try to sell some framed photos. I think I have some nice work and would like folks to be able to enjoy it.
Will let you know later how things turn out. Sue is home all week this week and will be helping w/ the sale this weekend. I've missed her - she was gone all last week - but I'm so happy she's back now. As a matter of fact, she's writing this for me tonight because my eyesight is giving me trouble again. This is why I have not posted much lately. I do have an appointment w/ the eye Dr. this Wed to hopefully get the correct contacts to help this problem and maybe prevent it from happening again.
Miss Kitty had to go back to the vet this week. She, like me, seems to be having problems each week. We have a few good days and some bad days. She is holding her own and seems to be very happy for several days and then has few days she's not doing too well and is sick. And, she too is much happier when Sue is home.
Thank you all for reading. Mark
Photo for the day - another spring flower as I try to improve my macro flower taking capabilities.